The Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs was created to formulate and execute plans, programmes and other initiatives as well as coordinate the activities of Agencies, Communities, donors and other stakeholders involved in the development of the Niger Delta region.
Their specific functions include:
- Oversee the implementation of Government policies on the development and security of the Niger Delta region.
- Coordinate the formulation of the development plan for the region.
- Formulate policies and programmes for youth mobilization in the Niger Delta region.
- Advice Government on security issues concerning the region.
- Liaise with relevant Government, non-government and private sector organizations.
- Formulate and coordinate policies for environmental management.
- Liaise with host communities for the enhancement of the welfare of the people and the development of the region.
- Facilitate sector involvement in the region.
- Plan and supervise programmes on public education/enlightenment.
- Liaise with oil companies operating in the region to ensure environmental protection and pollution control.
- Organize human capacity development as well as skills acquisition programmes for the youths.
- Take adequate measures to ensure peace , stability, and security with a view to enhancing the economic potentials of the area.
- Submit reports periodically to Mr. President on all matters concerning the region