The Nigerian National anthem is patriotic music that glorifies the country. The lyrics were written by John A. Ilechukwu, Eme Etim, Ekpan B. A., Ogunnaike Ota Omoigui and P. O. Aderibigbe. The lyric was a combination of words and phrases taken from five of the best entries in a National contest .The words were put into music by the Nigerian police band under the directorship of Benedict E. Odaise. The anthem was adopted officially in 1978.
The National Anthem of Nigeria
“Arise, O Compatriots“ (1978–present)
- Arise, O compatriots,
- Nigeria’s call obey
- To serve our Fatherland
- With love and strength and faith.
- The labour of our heroes past
- Shall never be in vain,
- To serve with heart and might
- One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.
- O God of creation
- Direct our noble cause
- Guide our leaders right
- Help our youth the truth to know
- In love and honesty to grow
- And living just and true
- Great lofty heights attain
- To build a nation where peace
- And justice shall reign.
The Former National Anthem of Nigeria
The former National Anthem was used from 1960(Independence) till 1976. ‘Nigeria We Hail Thee’ was adopted as Nigeria’s first anthem on the first of October 1960. The lyrics were written by Lilian Jean Williams, a British Expatriate who lived in Nigeria at the time it gained Independence .The lyric was put into music by Frances Berda.
”Nigeria, We Hail Thee” (1960-1978)
- Nigeria, we hail thee,
- Our own dear native land,
- Though tribe and tongue may differ,
- In brotherhood we stand,
- Nigerians all are proud to serve
- Our sovereign Motherland.
- Our flag shall be a symbol
- That truth and justice reign,
- In peace or battle honoured,
- And this we count as gain,
- To hand on to our children
- A banner without stain.
- O God of all creation,
- Grant this our one request,
- Help us to build a nation
- Where no man is oppressed,
- And so with peace and plenty
- Nigeria may be blessed.
The National Pledge Of Nigeria
The Pledge is recited immediately after the National Anthem as a commitment or a promise to serve the country. It is an Oath of allegiance to Nigeria
- I pledge to Nigeria my country,
- To be faithful, loyal and honest,
- To serve Nigeria with all my strength,
- To defend her Unity and Uphold her honour and glory
- so, Help me God.